Texans Blow 24-0 Second Quarter Lead Against Chiefs, Lose 51-31

The Texans took a 24-0 lead early in the second quarter. But then it all unraveled. 

Brandon Scott
January 12, 2020 - 3:49 pm

Early in the second quarter, it looked like the Texans could be on their way to a huge upset against the Chiefs in Kansas City.

They led 24-0 with 10:58 left to go in the half, after scoring on their first offensive possession for just the second time this season. 

Then there was a blocked punt by Barkevious Mingo, recovered by Lonnie Johnson Jr. for a touchdown and an early 14-0 lead. 

Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill muffed a punt, allowing the Texans to operate with a short field (Chiefs 6-yard line) and they capitalized with a touchdown pass to tight end Darren Fells.

They took a 24-0 lead with a 31-yard field goal.

But then it all unraveled. 

Mecole Hardman returned a kick for 58 yards. It took the Chiefs just two plays to travel the remaining 42 yards they needed for their first touchdown of the game. 

The Texans on the next drive decided to run a fake punt and snap it to Justin Reid, but that didn't work. It took just three plays for the Chiefs to score their second touchdown of the game. 

Then DeAndre Carter fumbled a kick return for the Texans and the Chiefs recovered it at Houston's 6-yard line. That touchdown drive took three plays. 

The Texans gave up three touchdowns in just 3:24. 

The Chiefs took a 28-24 lead after a short touchdown pass to Travis Kelce. 

Kansas City went into halftime with a 28-24 lead.

It didn't stop there. 

They won the game 51-31, dominating the Texans for the rest of the way. 

The Chiefs scored on a seven-play, 85-yard touchdown drive to start the third quarter. Damien Williams ran for a short gain to extend the Chiefs' lead.

Houston then punted and the Chiefs answered with another touchdown drive capped by a Williams score.

The Texans cut the Chiefs lead to 10 points after Deshaun Watson ran for a five-yard touchdown.

But the defense couldn't stop Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and the Kansas City offense. The offense, meanwhile, turned it over on downs their final three possessions of the game.